The Historic Home, Studio, and Gallery of Artist Adelia Armstrong Lutz
A visit to Westwood is a connection to the rich, artistic history of Knoxville.
OPEN TUESDAYS, THURSDAYS & SATURDAYS
Adelia Armstrong Lutz (1859-1931) was a talented artist and leader in the Knoxville arts community. She, along with husband John Lutz, commissioned Knoxville’s first and best-known architectural firm, Baumann Brothers, to design Westwood. This resulted in an impressive Queen Anne style house constructed of brick with Richardsonian Romanesque accents in stone. A rare aspect of the design was Adelia’s painting studio, by far the grandest room in the house. Designed especially for the artist, her studio had ample space for materials and paintings, a fireplace, a cathedral ceiling, tall windows, and an impressive skylight. Adelia had created a place of profound beauty within which to pursue her passion and host her fellow artists. Today, Westwood showcases32 of Adelia’s works along with frescoes, furnishings, art, and craftsmanship from other Knoxville artists dating from the late 19th century to the modern era.
In 2013, the Aslan Foundation donated this beautiful residence to Knox Heritage after purchasing it from a fourth generation family member. Knox Heritage raised over $1 million to restore and renovate the property. Today, Westwood makes a strong statement about the importance of preserving places that have the power to transport us to another moment in time.
Please consider making a donation to the Historic Westwood Fund.
Donations are used for preservation and the gardens and grounds.
3425 KINGSTON PIKE KNOXVILLE, TN 37919