2021 Preservation Awards
East Tennessee Preservation Awards – May 20
Knox Heritage and the East Tennessee Preservation Alliance (its regional program) are now accepting nominations for the 2021 East Tennessee Preservation Awards which recognize outstanding individuals, organizations, and projects contributing to historic preservation efforts within our sixteen county region. Since 1978, 812 awards have been given to a wide range of historic projects and individuals. For a list of previous awards winners, from 2010 to the present, please see below.
2021 Annual East Tennessee Preservation Awards – Call for Nominations
Due to concerns related to Coronavirus (COVID-19), Knox Heritage is postponing the 2020 Annual East Tennessee Preservation Awards, originally scheduled for November 2020, until May 20, 2021. The call for nominations is open, and we welcome nominations for the 2021 awards now through March 15, 2021.
Everyone is encouraged to nominate buildings and structures that have been restored or carefully maintained over time. To be considered, nominated properties must be located in Anderson, Blount, Campbell, Claiborne, Cocke, Grainger, Hamblen, Jefferson, Knox, Loudon, Monroe, Morgan, Roane, Scott, Sevier, and Union Counties, and must have been built no later than 1971. All projects must be completed by the date the nomination is submitted. All projects must have been completed within the past two years.
Examples of eligible nominations include:
- Completed restoration of a historic home or commercial building.
- Preservation through continuing maintenance of a historic home or commercial building.
- Infill construction compatible with historic neighborhoods.
- Corporate or civic leadership in preservation.
- Downtown and neighborhood revitalization programs.
- Exceptional volunteer service for historic preservation-related causes.
- Outstanding media coverage of historic preservation issues.
- Heritage tourism sites, programs or leadership.
To qualify for a Preservation Award, a project should:
- Be located in Anderson, Blount, Campbell, Claiborne, Cocke, Grainger, Hamblen, Jefferson, Knox, Loudon, Monroe, Morgan, Roane, Scott, Sevier, or Union County.
- Demonstrate outstanding achievement in the field of historic preservation.
- Have an original construction date prior to 1971 (50 years +).
- Be completed by the date the nomination is submitted. All projects must have been completed within the past two years.