Hope Brothers Building (19)
428 South Gay Street
The Hope Brothers Building, built in 1898, initially served as the retail space for Arnold, Henegar, Doyle & Co., which at the time was the leading shoe store for Horseshoe brand shoes.
Hope Brothers Jewelers was started in 1846 by David L. Hope. In 1868, the business was reorganized by grandsons David Hope and John Hope. Over the years, the business had two or three different locations on Gay Street, until they moved to the 428 S. Gay Street building in 1908.
In 1908, Hope Brothers Jewelers took residence in the building, operating as “Dealers in Rare Things and Fine Jewelry.” Hope Brothers installed a landmark street clock that remained an icon of the downtown streetscape until 2004, when Kimball’s Jewelers (which bought the business in 1933) dismantled it.
A replacement sidewalk clock was installed in 2008, by downtown boosters.