The Daniel (8)
118 West Jackson Avenue
This building, one of Knoxville’s more exuberant examples of the Richardsonian Romanesque vogue in architecture of the late 1880s, has served clothiers for most of its history. By 1896 it was the headquarters of the Powers, Little apparel manufacturing company. (Reversing the usual pattern, Powers, Little had its executives in Knoxville, but its factory on Bleecker Street in New York.) The company was later known as Little Brothers. In 1936, Georgia tailor John H. Daniel set up shop here and though he lived in Knoxville only a short time before moving to Virginia and a new career in politics, he founded a durable business that remained in the building for more than 75 years, gaining international renown for its fine men’s suits.