The Craighead-Jackson House (29)
1000 State Street
The Craighead–Jackson House was built in 1818, at the very end of Knoxville’s capitol era and is one of the few remaining early 19th century structures in downtown Knoxville. It is named for original owner John Craighead, credited with building Knoxville’s first waterworks, and the prominent Knoxville physician, Dr. George Jackson. It is believed that the house was designed by Craighead’s brother-in-law, John Cullen, who was an architect in Knoxville, and that the construction may have been performed by Craighead’s brother, Thomas. The house still contains interior woodwork hand carved by Knoxville’s first professional architect, Thomas Hope.
The Craighead family lived in the house until 1855, when it was sold to William Swan. Soon after acquiring the house, Swan sold it to Dr. Jackson, whose family lived in the house until 1885. After Dr. Jackson sold the home, it was held by a succession of owners for decades, falling into serious disrepair. In 1957, the house was purchased jointly by the city and state and was deeded to the Blount Mansion Association. The home was opened to the public in 1966.