Tennessee General Building (44)
625 Market Street
Designed by Barber and McMurry in 1925, this tall office building is a good example of the emerging downtown office building of steel construction. The masonry-clad walls of the building are ornamented with Florentine Renaissance Revival detail.
For much of its life, the structure was home to Bank of Knoxville, which was chartered in February 1926, as South Knoxville Bank and located at the south end of the Gay Street Bridge. The bank moved to the first floor of the General Building in 1932, when it changed its name to Bank of Knoxville. It was one of the few banks in Knoxville to stay in operation during the Depression.