Temple-Pittman House (58)

623 West Hill Avenue

The Temple-Pittman House was built by Charles McNabb in 1907. McNabb was a local businessman who owned a billiard hall on Gay Street and later expanded his business interests to include larger amusement halls. From 1908 until 1922, Daniel M. Chambliss, a local pharmacist and the president of the Kuhlman & Chambliss Company, lived in the house.
The house is better known, however, as the residence of prominent philanthropist Mary Boyce Temple, who purchased the house in 1922 and lived there until her death in 1929. Temple organized the Bonny Kate Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), and served many years as Regent of the local and state chapter. She was also the first president of Ossoli Circle and a member of the East Tennessee Historical Society. In 1900, she was appointed by Tennessee Governor Benton McMillin as a commissioner to represent Tennessee at the Paris Exposition, and in other years represented the state at the World Expositions in Stockholm and Rio de Janerio. She was a leader in the movement to preserve the Governor William Blount House in Knoxville. In 1925, her check provided the final amount needed to purchase the house and guarantee its survival. After many years of neglect, the house was purchased by local architect Brian Pittman in 2006, and over serval years he meticulously restored it to its former glory.

Go Back Map Next Stop