Stevens / Manhattan Building (13)
101 South Central Street
Druggist John H. Stevens opened his shop at this corner in 1894, and his pharmacy remained in the building until about 1914. After a period as a photographic studio, around 1925 the building hosted the Manhattan Café, run by Greek immigrant Cavalaris family. With the end of Prohibition in 1933, it became an especially popular beer hall. It had a lively reputation and expanded into adjacent space to handle the crowds. After the beer hall closed in the early ‘50s, the building served as a storeroom and suffered a serious fire before it opened as one of the Old City’s first successful night spots, Manhattan’s, in 1987. In recent years, it has hosted Knoxville’s first known Scottish-themed bar, the Jig & Reel.