Sandstone Court (65)
414 Clinch Avenue
This sandstone-front building was designed by local architects Baumann & Baumann and constructed in 1928 by the Morris Plan Bank. The bank’s name reflects a pre-Depression model for lending money to middle-class Americans who were considered too risky for conventional banks. The bank occupied the building until 1948. It eventually evolved into the Tennessee Valley Bank, Home Federal Bank, Third National Bank, Valley Fidelity Bank and the First National Bank. In the 1950s, it housed Matheny’s, one of Knoxville’s best-known independent booksellers of the time.