New Sprankle Building / The Pembroke (42)
510 Union Avenue
The New Sprankle Building was built by Knoxville developer Benjamin Sprankle in 1927, in the Commercial Vernacular style. This was the headquarters for the Tennessee Valley Authority during its most famous period, when Jean-Paul Sartre, James Agee, Le Corbusier, and Ernie Pyle and others visited Knoxville. By late 1933, TVA occupied 106 offices on four floors. Arthur Morgan, David Lilienthal, and Harcourt Morgan also had their main offices here in the 1930s. A significant addition to the building was made in the late 1960s, and it was renovated as residential condominiums in early 1980s. Its name was changed to The Pembroke at that time.