Knoxville Journal Arcade Building (23)
618 South Gay Street
The Journal Arcade Building was designed by R.F. Graf & Sons in 1924, for the headquarters of Knoxville’s morning newspaper, The Knoxville Journal. During this time, the editor was Captain William Rule, a Union veteran who employed and mentored Adolph Ochs, the eventual founder of The New York Times. In 1991, the Journal suspended daily operations of what was once one of the country’s oldest family-owned newspapers. Rule died of appendicitis in 1928, after writing his last editorial.