Keller Building (10)
West Summit Hill Drive
Built in 1905 by the well-known Keller family, cousins to Helen Keller, the building was home to a variety of businesses and professionals in its early years. Two physicians had offices in the building on the second and third floors, from 1906 until 1910. At various times, the building housed a dry goods store, a hardware store, an army surplus store, and a furniture store that closed in 1995.
During the 1950s, the Keller Building also housed an African-American nightspot called the Workers Club, which featured bands and live shows. Peepholes in sliding doors indicate that it may also have housed a speakeasy. In later years, the building also housed an African-American owned printing company that printed The Variety Press and a civil rights monthly, the Independent Call.
In the late 1990s, the building was purchased and renovated by Axiom Associates to serve as a mix of offices and residential condominiums.