Ely Building (35)
406 West Church Avenue
The Ely Building represents the practice and advancement of medicine in Knoxville at the beginning of the 20th century. This Commercial Vernacular building was built in 1903 as a physician’s office with a residence or an infirmary on the second floor. The Ely was initially occupied for many years by the offices of Dr. S.M. Miller, but it is known by the law firm Ely & Ely, which had offices here from 1950 until the late 1970s. The building was also home to the office of Teddy Ruzak, the “highly effective detective” in three Richard Yancey novels.