Cowan, McClung & Company (16)
502 South Gay Street
This building was built in 1871, as the home for the Cowan, McClung & Company, the largest department store in Knoxville in the post-Civil War period, until 1919, when it went out of business. The architects were Joseph F. Baumann and Peter J. Williamson, who designed the building in the Second Renaissance Revival style. In 1929, major alterations were designed by Albert B. Baumann, Jr. of Baumann & Baumann.