Cal Johnson Building (15)
301 State Street
The Cal Johnson Building was constructed in 1898 in the Vernacular Commercial style and originally housed a clothing factory. It was constructed by Knoxville’s first major African American philanthropist and is a rare example of a large commercial structure built by a former slave. Cal Johnson (1844-1925) also served as a city alderman during his extensive career, which included the operation of several area saloons and one of Knoxville’s most popular and durable horse racing tracks at Speedway Circle in Burlington.