C.M. McGhee House 1872 / Masonic Temple 1916 (53)
505 Locust Street
The 1872 portion of this structure was one of prominent Knoxville architect Joseph Baumann’s first efforts as a designer. The Victorian mansion was built as the residence of Charles McClung McGhee, a railroad developer, banker, and real estate developer.
In 1915, the Masonic Temple Association hired A.B. Baumann to remodel and alter the building into a monumental classical structure to suit the needs of the Association. Only some portions of the original interior architectural details still remain.