2019 East Tennessee Preservation Awards

KNOX HERITAGE AND ETPA ANNOUNCE 2019 EAST TENNESSEE PRESERVATION AWARDS

East Tennessee is a beautiful region that is rich with history and interesting places. Each year, Knox Heritage and the East Tennessee Preservation Alliance recognize outstanding persons, projects and organizations working to preserve our heritage for future generations. This year’s award winners were recognized during a special ceremony at the Bijou Theater on November 14th.

Mayor Madeline Rogero was presented with the Partner in Preservation Award acknowledging her leadership in developing the City of Knoxville’s Preservation Fund. The Fund has had a noticeable impact in several neighborhoods within the city. Mayor Rogero presented the City of Knoxville Mayor’s Award to Ignite Solutions LLC for the restoration of the Keeton Jewelers Building in Burlington.

The Knox County Mayor’s Award was presented to the Town of Farragut for restoration of the Campbell Station Inn. The town of Farragut purchased the house and property in 2013 and it will become the centerpiece of a new park.

The Spirit of Kristopher Award was presented to Dianna & Peter Osickey for restoration of the General John T. Wilder House, a National Register property located at 2027 Riverside Drive. The 1904 home had fallen into a severe state of disrepair over the last 20 years.

Kyle Lang received the Volunteer of the Year Award. Kyle has been an exceptional volunteer on the Knox Heritage Special Events Committee for the past five years, supporting our organization with her time, talents, and service.

WBIR was presented with the Media Award. Elizabeth Sims and Leslie Ackerson are the producers for the station’s Abandoned Places digital-first series. The series explores Tennessee’s historic buildings that have been left behind.

Smee + Busby Architects garnered the Adaptive Reuse Award for their renovation of the 1930 Marble City United Methodist Church on Sutherland Avenue for their offices.

Millie and Elder Brown received the Stewardship Award for Craiglen, the historic home they purchased in 2018.

The Preservation Service Award went to Steve Cotham for his extensive time as a commissioner on the Knoxville Knox County Planning Historic Zoning Commission (1999 to 2019).

Additional award winners include: Reagan Design + Construction for restoring a circa 1905 Folk Victorian cottage at 1134 Harvey Street in the Old North Knoxville neighborhood; the Kingston Pike – Sequoyah Hills Association for restoring the 1926 iconic Sunhouse Fountain on Cherokee Boulevard; Kathy Hayden Horn for restoring a 1929 Spanish-eclectic style house on Druid Drive in Lindbergh Forest; Heather and Christopher Casteel for restoring 723 East Scott Avenue in the Old North Knoxville neighborhood; Nathan Turnbough and Jessica Brewton-Turnbough for the restoration of an 1892 Victorian home located at 2723 South Haven Road; Johnson Architecture and The Christman Company for a $10 million renovation project at the 1903 First Presbyterian Church; Lafayette Investments LLC for the restoration of a 1903 Victorian home at 1811 Riverside Drive; Dewey Hillard for substantial work to the 1910 Fowler-Christenberry House at 4024 Kingston Pike; Jennifer and Blake Bookstaff and Jonathan Miller Architecture and Design for new additions to Glen Craig, a Tudor Revival house designed by Barber & McMurry in 1926, located at 6304 Westland Drive; and Carol and Jim Hawley and Open Door Architecture for the restoration of 1214 Luttrell Street, a Queen Anne cottage built in 1914.

In addition, the East Tennessee Preservation Alliance presented regional preservation awards to the Glenmore Preservation Society for grant-related repairs, the Oak Ridge Heritage and Preservation Association for the Oak Ridge History Museum, the Roane County Heritage Commission for completing the restoration of the exterior masonry of the historic Roane County Courthouse in Kingston, Lindsay Crockett for writing the National Register nomination for the Tennessee Military Institute Residential Historic District in Sweetwater, Dakota Blade Carmichael for his “Old History’ YouTube Channel, Steve Cameron who makes replicas of Civil War horse drawn vehicles, Preservation Union County for their dedicated work in listing the Oak Grove School in Sharps Chapel, the Great Smoky Mountains Heritage Center with Maryville College and Second Presbyterian Church in Townsend for saving and providing a new home for the Isaac Anderson cabin, and to Rick and Nikki Miles for restoring 313 Peachtree Street in Sweetwater, a home built in 1905 by Col. Otey C. Hulvey, the founder and president of Tennessee Military Institute.

Please visit this link for more information.

The 2019 East Tennessee Preservation Awards Celebration is sponsored by: