Join Our Team
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Interested parties should submit a cover letter, resume and three references via email, post or in-person by February 28, 2020.
Knox Heritage was established in 1974 as a non-profit historic preservation organization. It grew from successful efforts to save The Bijou Theater from demolition.
The Knox Heritage mission is to preserve structures and places of historic or cultural significance for our community. This mission is accomplished in three primary ways:
- Preservation – stewardship of Historic Westwood, The Airplane Filling Station and several protective easements
- Restoration – individual property renovations utilizing our Historic Properties Revolving Fund
- Transformation – changing how people think about, relate to, and interact with historic places through education, advocacy, and community engagement
Historic preservation is a powerful community philosophy with proven educational, environmental, cultural, aesthetic, social and economic benefits. We like to think of Knox Heritage as protecting and raising awareness of what is beautiful and irreplaceable in East Tennessee.
In order to grow our organization’s impact within the community, we are seeking an exceptional individual capable of “hitting the ground running” and growing with our organization.
POSITION AND LEADERSHIP STATEMENT
The Director of Development is responsible for managing and growing financial resources for Knox Heritage. It will be important for this person to have strong public relations and marketing skills in order to accomplish this. Elements of resource development will include growing major gifts, corporate sponsorships, legacy gifts and annual giving along with managing a potential future capital campaign, improving fundraising event effectiveness and monitoring the stewardship of donors. Elements of public relations and marketing will include social media utilization, mailings, and other communication methods.
The ideal candidate will have experience and proven success with all aspects of financial resource development. Excellent analytical, interpersonal, communication (verbal and written) and leadership skills are essential. An ability to build rapport and credibility with multiple internal and external stakeholders as well as the ability to clearly articulate Knox Heritage’s mission and value to all stakeholders is important. The employment status for this position is full-time/non-exempt.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the implementation of an integrated development strategy in consultation with the Executive Director.
- Identify and cultivate relationships with current and prospective donors. This will require working closely with the Director of Memberships and Administration (the primary donor database manager) and the Development and Marketing Committee to fulfill the development strategy.
- Lead the transition to a new donor database software (2nd-3rd quarter 2020).
- Raise awareness of existing special funds: Historic Properties Fund, Historic Westwood Fund, and the Preservation (endowment) Fund.
- Review and assess the effectiveness of current programs and make recommendations for improving or eliminating certain initiatives.
- Be the primary donor/member event manager in partnership with other staff and volunteers.
- Serve as staff liaison to both the Development and Marketing Committee and the Special Events Committee.
- Coordinate media and public relations outreach opportunities with other staff to publicize and market Knox Heritage activities. Explore new strategies and tools to reach additional donors.
- Serve as a public representative of the organization as needed.
- Participate in board meetings and prepare reports as requested by the Executive Director.
QUALITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in fundraising with demonstrable success.
- Experience in donor cultivation and fundraising events required.
- Resourcefulness, creativity and strong problem-solving skills are essential.
- Must be able to work effectively with minimal supervision and exhibit strong interpersonal, administration and management skills.
- Ability to maintain an optimistic attitude and work well with other staff and volunteers.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and G-Suite. Experience with Adobe, InDesign, and WordPress is a plus.
- Familiarity with donor tracking systems preferred (Knox Heritage currently uses Giftworks).
- Must be able to communicate effectively with co-workers, donors and others utilizing strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule that accommodates the needs of the organization. Knox Heritage office hours are Monday-Friday 9 am to 5 pm. However, there are occasional early evening committee meetings and events and other special engagements that may require some weekend work.
Knox Heritage offers a salary commensurate with experience along with a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and 401(k). Please feel free to inquire of the salary range before applying.
Todd Morgan, Executive Director
3425 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN 37919
(865) 523-8008 ext. 4