East Tennessee Preservation Awards
The East Tennessee Preservation Awards program recognizes outstanding individuals, organizations, and projects contributing to the protection of East Tennessee’s heritage.
2019 East Tennessee Preservation Award Winners
Members of the Oak Ridge Heritage and Preservation Association (ORHPA) took on the ambitious project of developing the Oak Ridge History Museum, opening to the public in the spring of 2019. The project was completed in less than a year using only volunteer help and relatively small donations. The project came out of concern that a large portion of history was going untold, especially portions of the top-secret Manhattan Project, and Oak Ridge’s role in bringing WWII to a close. The museum is located at 102 Robertsville Road in the historic Midtown Community Center and is now open to the public with regular houses and for special tours.
Seventeen months after being completely dismantled and moved from Knox County, the 217-year-old former home of Maryville College founder Isaac Anderson has been fully restored in its new location on the grounds of the Great Smoky Mountains Heritage Center in Townsend. The cabin is now a permanent part of the center and is open during business hours. Inside panels tell the story of Anderson, the founding of Maryville College in 1819 as the Southern and Western Theological Seminary, and Second Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, which Anderson founded in 1818. Cole Piper provided funding to dismantle the cabin and haul the pieces to the grounds of the Heritage Center, where log cabin experts documented every piece with photographs and numbered them with tags. A fundraising campaign supported the cabin restoration project. We thank the Cole Piper, Great Smoky Mountains Heritage Center, Maryville College, and Second Presbyterian Church for making this important project happen.
Trail Rock Ordnance have been teaching American Civil War history through living it and exploring all aspects of its horse-drawn vehicles. Cameron makes replicas of Civil War horse- drawn vehicles and their craftsmanship is known and requested worldwide. They frequently have groups of historians, school groups, and others out to their facility to see the vehicles they are working on. They also travel extensively to do re-enactments and to showcase their vehicles.
Dakota Blade Carmichael has surpassed 400 subscribers on his YouTube Channel – “Old History”. By mailing his video documentaries short and easily accessible, he has reached an audience that does not usually subscribe to scholarly history.
Congratulations to the Glenmore Preservation Society for completing the front porch and window dormer restoration of the iconic 1868 Glenmore Mansion in Jefferson City. Also completed was a handicapped parking pad and access ramp.
1313 Peachtree Street in Sweetwater was restored by Rick and Nikki Miles. The home was built in 1905 by Col. Otey C. Hulvey, founder and president of Tennessee Military Institute. After purchasing the condemned property the Miles’ found historic images and artifacts in the attic and are now in the process of opening the house to the public as a museum.
The work of a few dedicated individuals has resulted in the Tennessee Military Institute Residential Historic District in Sweetwater being officially added to the National Register of Historic Places in May 2019. The Tennessee Military Institute Residential Historic District is comprised of 3 houses located adjacent to and historically associated with the military school. From 1905 when the first house was built until 1970 when the enrollment of the school declined, the residences housed leaders and teachers at the school. Lindsey Crockett, historic preservation planner at Knoxville Knox Planning, authored the nomination.
The next award is presented to Anakeesta, a new family attraction in Gatlinburg, for partnering with the local community to relocate historic structures impacted by the project development. Now, the stories attached to the buildings can continue to be shared with future generations. The structures include the historic Ogle Cabin which dates to the early 1800’s and was moved to the Gatlinburg Visitor Center. Also relocated was the Pi Beta Phi clinic building which dates back about 100 years. It moved to Pittman Center. Two other historic structures were relocated and are now used for the Anakeesta offices. Foundation stones were repurposed for the main entry building on the Parkway.
We thank Preservation Union County for their dedicated work in listing the Oak Grove School in Sharps Chapel on the National Register of Historic Places in November 2018. The school opened in 1935 and hosted first through eighth grade students in two rooms until its closure in the 1960s. It was built in the Rosenwall style after architectural plans from Sears, Roebuck & Company. Lindsey Crockett, historic preservation planner at Knoxville Knox Planning, authored the nomination.
2018 East Tennessee Preservation Award Winners
- The 1920 Hoskins Drug Store in downtown Clinton, Tennessee was restored by Mollie Farrar and Jenky Walker, granddaughters of Hoskins’ founder, R.C. Hoskins, into a high-end floral and home décor shop.
- Narrow Ridge is a non-profit organization established to study, teach & demonstrate sustainability. They have an annual Hogskin History Day which celebrates the beauty, history, culture, and music of Grainger County. Each year has a history theme and they welcome guests to share the history of their own family and community, showcase crafts, and hear local historians.
- The work of a few dedicated individuals has resulted in the 1908 Bethel United Methodist Church in Morristown being officially added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 28, 2018. The church is located at 703 N. Cumberland Street adjacent to the original site where the congregation was organized immediately following the Civil War.
- Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary, one of the most iconic structures in the State of Tennessee, appeared to be on the path to becoming a total ruin after it was left empty in 2009. This changed in 2014 when it was deeded to the Morgan County Economic Development Board and a group of Chattanooga investors called The Brushy Mountain Group began work to develop the property into a distillery and tourist attraction. Several years of intense work, including a referendum for a distillery to be located in a “dry” county and repurposing of existing structures, finally led to the grand opening on August 4, 2018 welcoming visitors from all over the state. No longer listed on the East Tennessee Preservation Alliance Endangered List, Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary is greeting overwhelming crowds to the property and museum. What could have become a huge liability on the state of Tennessee has become a huge asset for the small community of Petros in Morgan County.
- It took two years for the Sevier County Commission to replicate the iconic Sevier County Courthouse clock tower. The courthouse has been a beloved landmark in Sevier County and the surrounding area since its completion. Originally constructed in 1895, the existing tower required complete removal and replacement due to its aging condition. The tower is the courthouse’s most prominent architectural feature, rising 75 feet above the building.
- Mary Ruden is a Sevier County artist who volunteered her time and materials to install displays in the Sevier County Courthouse. The cases now display historical drawings, photos, and artifacts of the courthouse and Sevierville Fire Department. It is important to continue telling our region’s history using visual displays such as this and we recognize her dedication to keeping the history of place alive.
2017 East Tennessee Preservation Award Winners
- Tanner Store in Wartburg for volunteer efforts to repair and restore the National Register landmark.
- Artist Wendy Leedy for her renderings of significant historic sites in Grainger County and beyond.
- Senator Ken Yager for advocating for financial appropriations for restoration of the Oliver Springs Depot.
- Holston Methodist Conference and Morristown Task Force on Diversity for the Voices of Morristown College video.
- Preservation Union County for restoring the National Register Oak Grove School in Sharp’s Chapel.
- McKayla Floyd for leading an effort to clean up the Esslinger Cemetery in Sevier County.
- The University of Tennessee’s Facilities Services Complex for adaptive reuse of a Marble City neighborhood industrial facility,
- Zack Taylor and Volunteers for clean-up and restoration of the Young’s Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church cemetery in New Market.
- Barry Thacker and Carol Moore for their efforts in the Coal Creek community (Militia Hill, historic markers, working with youth, etc.)
- Scott Brooks for having served as ETPA President since the organization’s creation.
2016 East Tennessee Preservation Award Winners
- Johnson Architecture for renovations to Anderson Hall at Maryville College
- Bettina Cox-Diggs for renovations to the Cox-Diggs home in Oliver Springs
- American Legion Post 149 for building renovations and community organizing in Wartburg
- Frank March and Bob Lochbaum for historic cemetery mapping in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Ken and Rowena Smith for preservation leadership in Hamblen County
- Tanner Preservation Alliance for securing funding for preserving the Tanner School in Newport
- Mossy Creek Foundation for downtown revitalization leadership in Jefferson City
- Sevierville Commons Association for Tennessee Main Street certification
- Tennessee Valley Authority for the Norris Dam National Register designation
- Crossroads Downtown Partnership and City of Morristown fort he downtown Morristown National Register designation
2015 East Tennessee Preservation Award Winners
- Coca-Cola Consolidated for the Coca-Cola ghost sign restoration in Morristown
- Bush Brothers for the restoration of the A.J. Bush General Merchandise Store and Visitor’s Center in Chestnut Hill
- Duay O’Neil for history reporting in Cocke County
- Lee Aslinger for renovations to the historic Morgan County Jail
- Bonnie Peters for her leadership in preservation in Union County
- Lyric Theater Company for their dedication to the historic Lyric Theater and downtown Loudon
- Carol and Vijay Randive for the restoration of 802 Mayes Avenue in Sweetwater
- The Department of Energy for the development of the K-25 Virtual Museum
- Rick Murphy and George Zepp for the reconstruction of Walton Court in Historic Rugby
- John and Aldris Kerr for renovations to 3305 Bunker Hill in Knoxville
2014 East Tennessee Preservation Award Winners
- Wheatlands – Sevier County | Richard Parker and John Burns
- Monroe County Courthouse – Madisonville, Monroe County
- Lily Pad Boutique Buildings – Sweetwater, Monroe County | Brenda and David Bryan
- Albert Miller Lea Day – Blaine, Grainger County | Albert Miller Lea Foundation
- Union County Jail – Maynardville, Union County | Dennis Patterson
- 52 Pine Road – Norris, Anderson County | Regina and Jeff Merritt
- Rick Dover, Family Pride Corporation – Alexander Inn Project | Oak Ridge, Anderson County
- Ethiel Garlington – Alexander Inn Project | Oak Ridge, Anderson County
- Barbara Stagg – Rugby, Morgan County | Special recognition for service to Historic Rugby and ETPA
2013 East Tennessee Preservation Award Winners
- Barley’s Taproom and Pizzeria—Blount County | Randy Burleson
- Dean Stone, Lifetime Achievement Award—Blount County
- Shepard Inn of Dandridge—Jefferson County | Karen and Jim Everett
- Butler-Blanc Gymnasium—Jefferson County | Carson Newman University | Vice-President Ross Brummett
- Greenback Depot—Loudon County | Ron Edmondson
- Fowler’s Mill—Monroe County | Earl Alexander
- Sweetwater—Monroe County | Mary Chappell Crabtree
- Wartburg Presbyterian Church—Morgan County | Sharon Kreis
- Rocky Springs Presbyterian Church—Sevier County | Helen Harwood
- Plan East Tennessee—Maryville Mayor Tom Taylor
- The Hemlocks – Anderson County | Susan and Marianne Fowler
- 101 W. Norris Road – Norris | Regina and Jeff Merritt
2012 East Tennessee Preservation Award Winners
- Alcoa City Center in Blount County
- Crawford House at Maryville College in Blount County
- Gertrude Janeway Cabin in Grainger County
- Sally Baker in Hamblen County
- The Residences at Eastport in Knox County
- West View Cemetery Project in Knox County
- The Grove Building in Loudon County
- Susan Kries and The Deer Lodge Historical Society in Morgan County
- Hamilton-Tolliver Complex in Union County
- Capital Mark Bank and Trust in Anderson County
- Jon Overton Log House in Anderson County
2011 East Tennessee Preservation Award Winners
- Daugherty Furniture Building in Anderson County
- “The Birth of the City” Monument Project in Anderson County
- The Weeks House in Blount County
- Glen Oaks in Campbell County
- Lincoln Memorial University in Campbell County
- Old Jail in Claiborne County
- Rhea Mims Hotel in Cocke County
- Old Rutledge High School in Grainger County
- Richland Mill in Grainger County
- Gen. Longstreet Headquarters Museum in Hamblen County
- Jefferson County High School Service Learning Project
- Greenback Museum in Loudon County
- Magnolia Manor in Loudon County
- Stephen Morris for 109 & 111 N. Main Street in Sweetwater, Monroe County
- The Princess Theatre in Roane County
- Charit Creek Lodge in Scott County
- Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts in Sevier County
- Old State Bank in Union County
2010 East Tennessee Preservation Award Winners
- Norris Houses – Jeff andcRegina Merritt
- Green McAdoo Cultural Center – James Cain, Chair of the Green McAdoo Cultural Center Board of Directors
- William J. Wilcox, Jr., in Oak Ridge
- Wilders Chapel A.M.E Zion Church at the Great Smoky Mountains Heritage Center in Townsend – Robert Patterson, Executive Director
- Preservation Plaza in Downtown Maryville – Doug and Teresa Horn
- Hwy 25E Scenic Byway – Linda Lewanski, Ken Coffey, David Ridenour, Lila Wilson
- Façade Improvement Grant Program in Morristown – Mayor Barbara C. “Sami” Barile
- Jefferson County Courthouse – Mayor Alan Palmieri and David Longmire
- McBee House and Farm in New Market – John and Beverly Kramer
- Murphy Springs Farm in Knox County – Kevin Murphy
- McCollum Farm in Greenback – Timothy Grindstaff
- Downtown Loudon – Rick Dover, Family Pride Corporation
- Beacon Hill in Rugby – Jane Logan, President of Historic Rugby, Inc.
- Wheat Community and African Burial Grounds – Steve Goodpasture, Bonita Irwin and Will Minter
- Scott High School Museum Project – Gary Sexton, Teacher at Scott High School
- Union County Cemetery Association – Ellen Perry, President of UCCA
- Senator Howard H. Baker, Jr. – Lifetime Achievement Award