Frequently Asked Questions
What places and properties has Knox Heritage helped preserve?
Knox Heritage is dedicated to preserving and protecting historically and architecturally significant places in Knoxville and Knox County. Past accomplishments include:
- Successfully working with Mayor Haslam and Regal Cinemas to preserve historic buildings on the 500 block of Gay Street while building a new movie theater around them and encouraging more investment downtown.
- Establishing the J. Allen Smith Endangered Properties Fund as a tool to rescue endangered historic properties and get them into the hands of responsible owners.
- Providing expertise to local government leaders and citizens on numerous preservation issues.
- Providing support to the Nine Counties Preservation Alliance so our entire region can benefit from preserving its heritage.
- Bringing attention to our most endangered historic places through the annual “Fragile 15” list and working to find solutions for all of those places.
- Purchasing and restoring blighted properties in historic neighborhoods and linking them with new homeowners.